Free School Meals
Free School Meals Eligibility Criteria
The following text and information is taken directly from the Cornwall Council website - https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/schools-and-education/schools-and-colleges/school-meals/
A child is eligible for Free School Meals if their parent/carer (or the child themselves in their own right) receives any of the following benefits:
- Income Support (IS)
- Job Seekers' Allowance (Income-Based) and equal based Job Seekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA-IR) and equal based Employment and Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (CTC) with an annual income of less than £16,190
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid for 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- Guarantee Element of Pension Credit (GPC)
- Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 (IAA) Support
- Universal Credit - Your household income must be less than £7,400 a year (after tax and not including any benefits you get) as assessed by earnings from up to three of your most recent assessment periods
If you are claiming the benefits listed below you are NOT eligible for free school meals, regardless of what other benefits/credits are being claimed
- Working Tax Credit
- Contribution-Based Job Seeker's Allowance and/or Contribution-Based Employment and Support Allowance
However, you will be temporarily eligible to claim free school meals if you receive a Working Tax Credit run-on, which is the payment you may receive for a further four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit.
Apply for Free School Meals
You can apply for free school meals, and Pupil Premium online. Please ensure your child is eligible fpr free school meals before applying.
Your eligibility will be checked with HM Revenue and Customs, The Home Office and the Department of Work and Pensions.
You will be written to or emailed to you to let you know the outcome of your application and, if eligible, the date your child’s Free School Meals will start. Your child's school will also be notified. Please note that we are unable to backdate any claim.